Friday, January 7, 2011

Rocky

I got a call Tuesday morning from my AC and I knew something was not right. She was calling to tell me something that I had not prepared myself for. Rocky had been career changed due to a soundness issue towards toddlers (backing away from them when they persisted at coming towards him). After him being down there since April, I would have thought he would have been career changed earlier if he had a problem, not after he had been down there all these months.

I was given the option of adopting Rocky myself or putting him up for adoption and having Southeastern place him. By the way, if you are nervous about getting your wisdom teeth taken out, getting a phone call telling you that your puppy has been career changed the morning before totally takes your mind off your wisdom teeth.

Since Tuesday I have been going back and forth and back and forth between what the best thing for Rocky would be. The pain meds that I have been on have not helped make it any easier.

One of the reasons it has been so hard is that I don’t know what the future holds for me. I want Rocky to have the best home possible and get lots of love and attention, but I also want him to be a part of my life.

I finally got the courage that I was doing the best thing for Rocky and sent the hardest e-mail of my life (if I had tried calling, I probably would not have gotten the words out) with the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I put Rocky up for public adoption and to be placed by Southeastern.

This was by no means an easy choice to make, but I know it is the best for Rocky (even if it does not mean the best for me). I will always love my little Rock, but he already changed me and left a part of himself with me and now he gets to make a difference in the lives of his new family. Rocky was always mine to love, but never mine to keep.

A part of me didn’t feel right about taking Rocky, not because I could not take care of him, but because I felt like God was telling me that Rocky was not meant to be my dog, that he had created him for someone else. Rocky was created to do great things, even if a guide dog was not on his list, he was created for someone special and that person was not me.

This was by far the hardest choice I have had to make and if I didn’t love my little Rock Star so much and cared about him so much I would I have taken him back in a heartbeat.

I know that Southeastern will find his perfect family, just like they have found the perfect people for the rest of my puppies.

Whoever gets picked as Rocky’s family is the luckiest family in the world!

8 comments:

  1. Wow Rebecca. That was a very hard decision. I'm so sorry to hear about sweet Rocky. But you are more then right, God has a perfect place for him. Rocky is such a sweet dog and such a lover, he will find a great home!! Whoever gets him will be the luckiest person on earth!! :)

    Sending love, and prayers for healing and for Rocky,

    Meagan and Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry. That's an awful call to get right before your wisdome teeth removal. I know it was hard for you to make the decision to give him up for adoption, but I also know that he'll get a wonderful family who loves him as much as you. :-) Whoever gets him as a pet will thank you everyday for the wonderful dog you gave them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what hard news. I'm so sorry to hear that and wow the challenge of giving him away twice. Glad you made the right decision for Rocky - although it doesn't make it any easier. I'm sure his new family will be forever grateful for your generous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I have been Puppy Raisers for SEDGI for about 10 years. Our first puppy, and the last one we raised, were career-changed. We had to make the decision to adopt them, or allow the career change. In both cases, we felt that they deserved every chance to be a special dog for someone as they were trained to be. So, in both cases, we said give them another chance in another career. Both made it as excellent Arson Dogs! They love their jobs, and they are loved by the people they work with. A hard decision indeed, but like one of your own children you want them to have every chance to be special and make you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,
    What an honest heart felt disclosure. Your decision to allow Rocky a new and different career was very brave and unselfish of yourself, however, he could have been a therapy dog with you...NO???? Regardless, what a hard decision, and a great loss you will go through but also a gain of what you have given to someone else. We are waiting for our news on our puppy.
    Mother Marge

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a good choice for Rocky, even if it's tough. I've also had a pup be in formal training up until the final phase before he was CC'd to ATF. It definitely came as a shock. Rocky will love his new family, and he'll have a wonderful life. Just go give Joe a big hug and do what you do best; raise Joe with as much love as you did Rocky :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is definately a hard phone call to recieve and an even harder choice to make. I have had 4 similat phone calls (2 retired guides and 2 released from training) and have only found it in the best interest of all involved to take 1 of them back. The other 3 have the most wonderful lives imagined. I couldnt have asked for better for any of them and know for sure I couldnt have made that happen for them. Its never easy but you made the decision in the best interest of Rocky. Know that someone will be eternally grateful for all your hard work and your selfless decision to let Rocky become the "star" of someone elses world. Hugs to you and best wishes to Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    I had thought about taking Rocky back and doing therapy with him, but it just didn’t feel right. I know that Rocky will find a wonderful family and all I want is for them to love him as much as I do. I know Southeastern will find that family for him

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!
Rebecca and Joe