Sunday, September 6, 2009

Puppy Raiser Day!

On Saturday August 8, 2009, we got up bright and early, ate breakfast, packed the car and headed to SEGDI. We got to talk to some other puppy raisers before is started. At 9:00 puppy raiser day officially started. We were told what we could and couldn't do and then the bios from the new teams were read. Sherman and his new partner Richard were first. I could not help but shed a few tears of joy while it was being read. I was very proud of my boy! Once all the bios were read. We headed outside to watch the new teams work. Richard and Sherman were a part of the first group. It was breathtaking to watch that puppy who just a little over a year and a half ago cuddled in my arms and didn't know very much lead someone and find every curb! ( Sherman apparently loved finding curbs!) It is truly amazing to think about how much was accomplished in that short amount of time to get that puppy ready to be a working guide dog. Richard and Sherman Sherman looking over at us, but kept on working
Sherman found the curb
There they go!!!
Once all the teams were done we went back inside and the new pairs came out one at a time. Richard and Sherman were the 3rd to come out. I introduced myself and then asked if i could pet his dog ) of course by this time Sherman was already coming to see me!) Richard said of course and Sherman knocked me down and gave me a bath of kisses! He was so excited! After he said hi to everyone, we sat down and talked to Richard. Sherman got up and went and lay down beside Richard's side. It just showed how much Sherman loved Richard already!
We then had lunch and got our picture taken and then before i knew it, it was time to say good bye. I really hate good byes! I told Sherman to be a good boy and to always pay attention to where he is guiding Richard. I know that Sherman is LOVING spending every day guiding Richard as they start their new adventure together.
Sherman knew what was in the treat jar!
Richard looking at the scrapbook I made about Sherman
Saying good bye
Richard, Sherman and I
After saying good bye we went to see some adorable puppies and went to say hi to some in for training puppies.
Some adorable chocolate lab puppies
one of the vizsla puppies
Some really cute lab puppies
Some of the artwork in the puppy kennel
So that is what Rocky dreams about
Tillie, who was raised in my puppy group
I could not have asked for a better person for Sherman to be matched with than Richard. I could tell he loved Sherman and will take good care of him. Sherman will be living in sunny Florida and has many new adventures in front of him.
Good luck to Richard and Sherman! Here is to many years of partnership together!
Southeastern is located at the corner of Freedom and Independence.

1 comment:

Thanks for the comment!
Rebecca and Joe